Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tim Tebow, acupuncture, and welts. ... Welts?!

Acupuncture is in the news! "Acupuncture," Tebow said of the alternative treatment he received Friday afternoon on the recommendation of veteran safety Brian Dawkins .... "It actually makes you feel good." He was certain to clarify that it makes him feel good because the first line in the article said that he had "hockey puck-sized red welts" dotting his back. "Welts"? The article creates the impression that the acupuncture produced the welts. In my experience, you have to hope that it didn't create the welts. Maybe Tebow received cupping which can leave red circular marks (when done "vigorously") but still, not welts. I wish they had shown a photo of it so I could clarify what they meant but a good acupuncture needler/practitioner would not produce welts. Ask any of my patients! Maybe "welts" was too strong a word to describe the results but fear not: acupuncture does not leave welts. If Tebow would like a gentler, kinder yet super effective acupuncture I wish he'd drop by my office.

Acupuncture helps sports injuries or surgical injuries heal faster. Your practitioner may also use Chinese herbal prescriptions or gua sha - one of my personal favorite therapies - to help get you back to 100% quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment