Friday, July 5, 2013

Acupuncture does not hurt - or at least it doesn't have to. Ask your practitioner!

I tell my new patients that I am both a good and a gentle needler so acupuncture doesn't hurt.  But occasionally someone tells me that they've had it before and it hurt .... a lot.  It just happened.  A patient of mine went to see someone else because he was in her insurance network (she didn't realize that I could bill her out of network benefits) and she said he was a jerk.  I was stunned; don't like to hear someone representing your medicine referred to as a "jerk" and when I inquired further it was because he was hurting her with the needling and when she complained he told her "it's good that it hurts".  Well, not for her and not necessary.  So she's back w/ me now, is receiving effective gentle needling based upon pulse diagnosis, and I'm billing her insurance out of network benefits.  I explained to her that the other practitioner isn't a "jerk", he just believes that acupuncture has to hurt to be effective.  It's true; some schools/instructors/mentors teach that we should use thick needles and make the person say that it hurts.  I don't agree with that perspective or theory of treatment.  It is my belief and experience that when you are a good diagnostician who can feel the changes in the pulses (i.e., qi) you don't have to check with the patient to see if he/she is feeling anything.  I tell people that you don't have to "beat up the qi".

I just wanted you to be aware that there are different perspectives or theories of treatment and it's something to ask your prospective practitioner about.  There are those who believe that acupuncture has to hurt, should hurt, can hurt, and those who do not.  Your choice.


Got good health?  If not, call me, 303-947-6224 or email DrMLucas@AcupunctureWoman.com.
Even if you have good health, why not maintain it? That's what TCM is all about.  I get acupuncture every other week whether I need it or not …. 

INSURANCE BILLING: your acupuncture or other Chinese Medicine treatments may be covered.  As a service to you, we find out whether or not your health insurance covers acupuncture and our other therapies and when it does we bill your insurance.  There are plans that cover it, some pay for unlimited visits or enough visits for you to come every other week and be the healthiest employee in your company! Why not be healthier?  That's what the insurance company realizes - preventing surgeries, the use of expensive pain killers, and your having to have medical procedures saves them (and you!) money.  And even preventing the common cold saves your employer money.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DenverTCMClinic
www.PulseSeminars.com

No comments:

Post a Comment